As we begin our journey in jiu-jitsu, there is so much to learn and experience. Everybody starts with awkward shrimping and getting their ass kicked during rolls. The real test of jiu-jitsu is once you’ve gained some experience in our sport. This is the point where the future of most will either sink or swim…..
1. Become a more COMPLETE jiu-jitsu practitioner. It’s great when we discover a part of this martial art that we can really excel at. Whether it be leglocks, wrestling, etc.....but limiting ourselves to only one strategy that suits our comfort zone will hinder the potential of what our practice could truly become. Having a successful and dominant strategy is important....but just as important is the ability to change the systems you use in order to keep your training fresh and training-partners on their toes!
2. Knowledge is Power. The more options you have, the higher your chance of success. Make sure you’re part of a school that’s committed to the evolution of their curriculum and tactics. This responsibility falls on each individual in the school from student to instructor…..whether it be homework on “YouTube”; focused training with our peers…or investing in private lessons and seminars. Rolling is fun…but the real sharpening of your weapons comes from educating yourself constantly as a normal part of your training.
3. You’ll Never Quit. As we age...we won’t have a choice but to “stay green” if we want to continue training. Our bodies will change along with the way we train, the way we eat, and the way we think. Using the experience of those who came before us…staying open-minded...keeping our ego in check…goal setting.....these things will be our saving grace if we wish to train for the long haul.
- Jeff Spain Jr.
Mike is the longest running member of Graves BJJ in Lebanon, TN. He's been making major progress as a blue belt and has brought even more detail and techniques to Profectus Jiu-Jitsu Lebanon through his own studies of the martial art. This has been a long-time favorite take-down of his! Hope you enjoy the video!
As we head into the summer months, it becomes inevitable that our bodies sweat more and our chances of acquiring skin infections will increase. It's very important that we double down on efforts to remain clean and sanitary while we train. Below are a couple tips on how to be a fresh and clean training partner....
1. Washed/Clean uniform
2. Trimmed finger nails and toe nails
3. Fresh breath (gum/mouthwash/toothbrush
4. Covered up all open sores or abrasions
5. Not training while sick or with any contagious skin ailments...(See your instructor or doctor for guidance on various skin conditions)
6. Using hand sanitizer/washing hands before class
7. Using shoes/sandals when entering the restroom
8. Wearing deodorant.
9. Showering immediately after class
10. Bringing a towel to class for those who sweat in excess
Hopefully this will help shed some light on ways to be pro-active about your hygiene and class and make us all better training partners for the long haul! Stay fresh team!
- Jeff Spain Jr.
You can put this easy-to-learn double-leg into your gi-training arsenal! IBJJF Nashville gold medalist, James Williams, teaches his very successful "Rockstar" takedown! Come train with us down in Lebanon, TN. Choose Profectus Jiu-Jitsu in Wilson County, Tennessee!
Roy shows the traditional pull to closed guard! Let us know if there are any specific technique videos you'd like to see us make! Profectus Jiu-Jitsu in Lebanon, Tennessee! Make us your first choice for Jiu-Jitsu in Wilson County.
Samples are in! Excited for our team's annual nogi month! Pick yours up today! You don't have to be a member of Graves Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to rep the Dragon! Find us in Lebanon, TN and make Profectus Jiu-jitsu schools Tennessee's number one place for fitness and martial arts!
Ashley has a strong will to be successful here at Profectus Jiu-Jitsu in Lebanon. She not only demonstrates hard work every class but also brings joy and smiles! We're excited for her future in jiu-jitsu! Change your life today and find a jiu-jitsu school near you. If you live in the middle Tennessee area, accept no subsitute for Profectus Jiu-Jitsu academies! Serving 3 locations; Lebanon, Brentwood, and Fairview...
We had an eventful day in Clarksville, Tennessee with Profectus Jiu-Jitsu! Team Lebanon brought some serious number and performances! Excited to see what we do this summer! Make Profectus jiu-jitsu your choice for fitness, discipline and self defense!
Meet ARI!!! This young lady has been a leader since day one. It may have something to do with the fact that her father, James Williams(Open Mat Stories #3) who is one of our amazing coaches in the kid's program. She's competing in her first ever jiu-jitsu tournament on March 30th and we're excited to see her go out there and show Tennessee Jiu-Jitsu what she's made of! Empower your child with Jiu-Jitsu and choose Profectus Jiu-Jitsu in Lebanon, TN as your school! Located on the top floor of Dube Orthopedics in Wilson County, TN.
Jeff moved to Lebanon, Tennessee as a purple belt and started training with black belt Jeremy Akin...a Luiz Palhares affiliate in 2015.. That same year, Jeff started a jiu-jitsu program affiliated under Jeremy Akin's "Profectus Jiu-Jitsu". If you're looking for a quality, safe, and modernized jiu-jitsu academy, look no further than Profectus Jiu-Jitsu in Lebanon! Jeff continues to pursue his quest towards the black belt and trains frequently with Jeremy Akin. He has had many students perform successfully in local tournaments around middle Tennessee and was recently promoted to brown belt in June of 2018.
Jeff Spain Jr
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Brown Belt